Quantum computers aren’t what you’ve been told.
Get Surfshark VPN at https://surfshark.deals/CLEO – Enter promo code CLEO for 83% off and 3 extra months free!
Subscribe to support optimistic tech content (and see the next episode with MKBHD!): https://www.youtube.com/cleoabram
Subscribe to Marques here: https://www.youtube.com/mkbhd
You’ve heard about quantum computers. Maybe you’ve seen the “race for quantum supremacy” between governments and companies, or read that quantum computers will break all encryption, or heard terms like “qubits” or “superposition” or “quantum mechanics” in a confusing tv segment. But you might be wondering… what does a quantum computer actually DO? And how could it actually affect my life?
@mkbhd and I had the same questions. Marques and I both realized quantum computing was this big important technology… that we didn’t really understand. So we decided to go on an adventure to learn the truth about quantum computers. And we’re taking you with us, to show you what we learn as we learn it. But more importantly, to show you how these crazy computers might actually impact YOUR life… sooner than you think.
00:00 What is a quantum computer?
02:00 Why is quantum computing important?
04:00 The Quantum Video Game analogy
06:33 Thank you Surfshark!
07:40 What does a quantum computer look like?
09:38 How does a quantum computer work?
12:00 What is a quantum computer good for?
13:21 Will quantum computers break all encryption?
15:22 What’s the future of quantum computing?
16:27 Updating the Quantum Video Game analogy
You can find me on TikTok here for short, fun tech explainers: https://www.tiktok.com/@cleoabram
You can find me on Instagram here for more personal stories: https://www.instagram.com/cleoabram
You can find me on Twitter here for thoughts, threads and curated news: https://twitter.com/cleoabram
Cleo Abram is an Emmy-nominated independent video journalist. On her show, Huge If True, Cleo explores complex technology topics with rigor and optimism, helping her audience understand the world around them and see positive futures they can help build. Before going independent, Cleo was a video producer for Vox. She wrote and directed the Coding and Diamonds episodes of Vox’s Netflix show, Explained. She produced videos for Vox’s popular YouTube channel, was the host and senior producer of Vox’s first ever daily show, Answered, and was co-host and producer of Vox’s YouTube Originals show, Glad You Asked.
Additional reading and watching:
– For more from the IBM team, I love the Qiskit YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/@qiskit
– Quantum Physics: What Everyone Needs to Know by Michael G. Raymer https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/35498912
– Totally Random, Why Nobody Understands Quantum Mechanics by Tanya Bub and Jeffrey Bub (a comic about quantum mechanics!) https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/36642373
– How Quantum Computers Break The Internet… Starting Now by Veritasium https://youtu.be/-UrdExQW0cs
– Quantum Computers Explained – Limits of Human Technology by Kurzgesagt https://youtu.be/JhHMJCUmq28
– Quantum Computers, Explained With Quantum Physics by Quanta Magazine https://youtu.be/jHoEjvuPoB8
– The Map of Quantum Computing by Domain of Science https://youtu.be/-UlxHPIEVqA
Gear I use:
Camera: Sony A7SIII
Lens: Sony 16–35 mm F2.8 GM and 35mm prime
Audio: Sennheiser SK AVX
Follow along for more episodes of Huge If True: https://www.youtube.com/cleoabram?sub_confirmation=1
Welcome to the joke down low:
There are 3 types of people in this world:
Those who understand quantum computing
Those who do not understand quantum computing
And those who both simultaneously do and do not understand quantum computing 😉
Use the word “type” in a comment to let me know you’re a real one who read to the end!